Mwata Bowden, Director
Known for its boldness in showcasing cutting-edge works, the UChicago Jazz X-tet is a versatile collection of 12 to 15 musicians, frequently joined in performance by noted Chicago-area professionals. The X-tet’s three-concert season offers a variety of music ranging from jazz standards to hip-hop, often in custom arrangements by the ensemble’s own members. Both in rehearsal and in performance, the X-tet focuses on developing the improvisational skills of its musicians, as well as on deepening their understanding of the wide-ranging jazz idiom. The group has issued two CDs and frequently performs for University events on campus and elsewhere in the city. In addition to the Jazz X-tet itself, one or more small jazz combo groups are set up each year to provide training and experience to interested musicians.
2018-19 Concert Dates
- Thursday, November 8 at 4:30 p.m., Fulton Hall: Tea Time Concert (Jazz Combo)
- Thursday, December 6 at 8:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- Thursday, February 28 at 4:30 p.m., Fulton Hall: Tea Time Concert (Jazz Combo)
- Thursday, March 14 at 8:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- Thursday, May 23 at 4:30 p.m., Fulton Hall: Tea Time Concert (Jazz Combo)
- Thursday, June 6 at 8:00 p.m., Logan Center Performance Hall
- Wednesdays, Jazz Combo: 5:00-6:30 p.m.; Jazz X-tet: 7:00-9:30 p.m., Fulton Recital Hall
Students interested in joining the Jazz Programs at UChicago must sign up for a Jazz Audition at the beginning of the Autumn Quarter. Membership is limited by the size of the ensemble. Interested musicians are encouraged to audition for membership in another Department of Music performance ensemble as well, particularly the University Wind Ensemble.
Audition signup is on the 8th floor lobby of the Logan Center for the Arts beginning Monday, September 23 at 11:00 a.m. and continuing through Monday, September 30. The signup table will be staffed weekdays (M-F) from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on weekends (Sat/Sun) from 12:00 to 2:00 p.m.
Please visit the Auditions page for complete information including audition requirements